One of the most important new rules is the duration of Race 3: 28’ + 1 lap, equal to Race 1 and 2. The four Races format is confirmed in the case of number of registration exceeding the track capacity
ACI Sport Italia publishes the Sporting Regulations for the 2017 season of the Italian F.4 Championship powered by Abarth. The most relevant new rule concerns the format of Race 3, the duration of which is now 28’ + 1 lap (until last year it was 18’ + 1 lap), the same as Race 1 and Race 2. The starting grid of Race 3 will be determined by the second fastest lap time achieved by each driver in one of the two official trial practices.
- Moreover, the format of the four Races has been confirmed should the number of single seaters registered be above the track capacity. In this way it will be possible to satisfy every request.
- Regarding the Rookie Trophy, drivers cannot compete in this classification, if they have raced in more than three racing weekends (with singleseater, or in any national and/or international Formula Championship), before their request to register for the Italian F.4 Championship powered by Abarth. Until last season, the limit was three Races and not three racing weekends.
- In addition, the minimum car weight changes: from 557 to 565 kg.
- There are some important changes regarding engines. Every driver, for each event, will be associated with only one engine. This association must be declared in writing to the technical officer, during the pre-race checks. Only this engine, can be used by the driver when on the track during the weekend (free practices, qualifications, races…). It is possible to replace the engine during an event, but this would result in the driver receiving a penalty equivalent to the loss of 10 positions on the starting grid in the next race. This penalty will not be applied should the race officer find one of the two following cases: 1) the substitution is due to a crash caused by another driver. 2) The substitution is due to technical issues diagnosed by Autotecnica Motori.
- Lastly, the official test session at Imola has been postponed from 18/7 to 30/8.
The Sporting Regulation of 2017 Italian F.4 Championship powered by Abarth is available here: www.acisport.it/it/F4/regolamenti/2017. Please remember, the season will start on Sunday April 2 at Misano.